Rock Around the Clock - Relay for Life for Cancer Research
Main club details
15 Yes Volunteers needed
We will need volunteers to:
- Help with parking
- Give out cups of tea in the evening
- Help to put up the teams tents
- Oversee toilet facilities
- Groundsmen to help with overseeing the placement of tents and the set up of the track and chairs etc.
Special Skills Volunteers: (we would love to have the following)
- First aider
- Sound Technician to help with the music and stage
- Photographer to capture the event
- Musical acts to perform on stage
About our club
CRUK Sussex is hosting a fundraising event for Cancer Research called Rock Around the Clock - Relay for Life. We are a small group of volunteers who are putting on this event at Handcross Park School on the 26th/27th August 2017.
The premise of the event is that teams of between 8-10 people raise funds for CRUK throughout the assigned period (in our case until August) through a variety of their own events, helped along by our committee. This could be discos, quiz nights, cake sales, village fates, car boot sales or anything they like to raise money. We help them along the way with branded materials, ideas and opportunities to fundraiser alongside us at various events.
Then on the bank holiday weekend all the teams come together at Handcross Park School to walk around a track in turns for 24hrs to signify that 'Cancer Never Sleeps'. There will be musical entertainment, poetry readings, films, on site food vans and themed hours to keep the teams entertained. This is not a public event, but teams are allowed to invite friends and family during the day to keep them motivated and cheer them on!
A brief idea what goes on:
- We open with a lap of honour for Survivors, who walk a lap along with the rest of the teams.
- The Survivors then get their own VIP marquee with an afternoon tea and goody bags to show our appreciation for their attendance.
- We will proceed with the walking, where the teams will be entertained all day and into the evening.
- There will be some Survivors who may wish to share their stories with the group.
- There will be a candle of hope ceremony, candles will be lit and silence will be kept. Candle bags (drawn on and donated by the public) will be illuminated to commemorate those we've lost and celebrate those who are still with us.
- The walk continues into the night with films.
- In the morning we will be selling butties for the teams.
- After 24 hrs will have a closing lap and the relay will be over.
Alternatively, if you don't want to volunteer but would like to sign-up a team (for free) and fundraise yourself, please sign up here http://relay.cancerresearchuk.org/site/TR?fr_id=1713&pg=entry
This has all the information you need.
Sports and activities
- Facility management
- First aid
- Health & safety
- Hosting & welcoming
- Team management
Rock Around the Clock - Relay for Life, Handcross Park School - 26/27th August 2017