Muscular Dystrophy UK, Leicester Town & Gown 10K
Main club details
50+ Yes Volunteers needed
On the day & what is required from you
• To be on site at the Charles Wilson Sports Hall, University of Leicester to be ready for briefing at 7.45am. Please arrive 15 minutes before this briefing
• Here you will meet your Chief Marshal who will prep you on the roles and responsibilities you have and the area you will be working in.
• Prior to the race you will walk the area your team is responsible for. This will give you a full understanding of the risks during the race.
• Pack down of the event. This will include making sure that the area is clean, bollards are moved back to the sides of the roads and the race village is packed away.
• You will be finished no later than 1pm.
Example of roles
• This role is crucial for ensuring that the event runs smoothly and that participants feel motivated
• Your job is to direct runners along the route, make sure they make it safely round the course, and cheer them as they go
• You will be given a marshal point and full briefing on the day by the Race Director, Megan Bailey
• A mobile phone is key for this role. Some marshals may be given a radio also.
Information Tent Administrator:
• Setting up the information marquee
• Assisting runners and spectators with queries
• Welcoming participants and being their main point of contact
Baggage Control Steward:
Responsible for the collection before and redistribution after the event of runner’s kit:
• Laying out the baggage marquee in numbered lanes using laminated cards
• Ensuring that collection, sorting and storage of kit is managed in numerical order
• Redistributing kit to runners post-race on production of a race number
• Ensuring that no unauthorised person enters the baggage tent during the race
Registration Tent Administrator:
• Responsible for setting up the registration tent ready for when participants arrive
• Helping runners to collect their race packs
• Registering on the day sign ups
Water Station Marshals:
• Ensure that each station has enough water, tables, bins, waste bags etc.
• Have water ready for runners and hand out when they pass by
• Clear rubbish from the immediate vicinity of each station post-race
• Return unused water containers to finish area from each station
Goody Bag Distributor:
• Help set up and organise our finish area so that you are ready to hand out goody bags to all runners
• Responsible for keeping an eye on stock levels and refilling the station with goody bags
• Smiling and congratulating runners, while handing out goody bags
Start and Finish Line Marshals:
• Branding the charity village area, i.e. balloons, banners etc.
• Putting up signage i.e. toilets, information point, start line
• Moving participants to the start line after the warm up
• Construct outer perimeter with catch fencing to prevent spectators form encroaching on finish area
• Ensure that outer perimeter is construed so runners are funnelled out of finish area to drinks tables
• Ensure that there are First Aid staff available in the Finish area until the final runners have completed the course
• Ensure that the finish area is cleared immediately after the race
Date: Sunday 4 March 2018
Time: Arrive for at 07:30am to be ready for a 07:45am briefing
Location: Victoria Park, University of Leicester
Main contact: Lorna Poultney, Volunteer Manager – Town and Gown 10k series firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7803 2862
If you have any further questions about the event, then please do get in touch
Thank you very much for your support.
About our club
Muscular Dystrophy UK (previously known as the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign) is the charity bringing individuals, families and professionals together to beat muscle-wasting conditions.
Founded in 1959, we have been leading the fight against muscle-wasting conditions since then.
We bring together more than 60 rare and very rare progressive muscle-weakening and wasting conditions, affecting around 70,000 children and adults in the UK.
•We support high quality research to find effective treatments and cures and won’t stop until we have found them for all muscle-wasting conditions
Sports and activities
We're thrilled to be returning to the City of Leicester for our 2nd Leicester Town and Gown 10k. Leicester Town and Gown is the newest 10k in the series, and is now in its second year. The course is a three-loop route, incorporating both Victoria Park and the University of Leicester campus.
We have a great affinity with Leicester, with amazing support from our local family funds and the local community. It’s also on the University of Leicester campus where our Honorary Life President, the late Lord Richard Attenborough, spent his childhood and school years. Volunteer and help make it one of the best 10k runs in Leicester.
For the past 35 years, thousands of runners have taken on a Town and Gown 10k event in Oxford, Cambridge and now Leicester. The series is a huge fundraising event for Muscular Dystrophy UK, raising over £1.85 million so far to fight against muscle-wasting conditions.
We’re very much in need of volunteers to come along on the day, and would be hugely grateful if you could share the opportunity with your group. Our events simply could not happen without the help of volunteers, so it would be fantastic if you or your organization, could join us this October to make our sixth Cambridge Town and Gown 10k a success.